5 Health Benefits of Honey
Honey...it’s rich, it’s gooey, it’s tasty and it smells great. It’s a wonderful ingredient that we love creating products with and it’s a great alternative for sugar. What more do we need to know?! Well, it turns out there’s actually a lot of health benefits to honey.
Here are 5 health benefits of honey that you may not have known:
- Honey is high in antioxidants - consuming high-quality raw honey will give you a boost in antioxidants, which are known for reducing the risk of heart attacks, strokes and some forms of cancer. Antioxidants are also great for eye health and lowering blood pressure.
- It can help fade scars - all the antioxidants in your honey are also great for your skin. Raw honey, especially Manuka Honey, can be used to fade scars.
- It may help improve cholesterol - several studies show that honey may improve cholesterol levels which could reduce your risk of a heart attack.
- Honey promotes healing in wounds and burns - honey has been used as a topical treatment on wounds since ancient Egypt. Honey is most effective at healing burns and wounds that have been infected after surgery. It is also effective for healing diabetic foot ulcers. *Always consult your doctor before trying any alternative types of medicine*
- Honey can help sore throats - honey is a great alternative to traditional cough medicine which can often taste bad and cause drowsiness.
Now that you know some of the benefits of honey, here’s 5 ways to incorporate it into your life:
- DIY cough medicine - heat lemon juice and raw honey in a pot on the stove. Allow it to cool a bit before using, but make sure it is still warm. Drizzle down the throat to reduce coughing and ease a sore throat.
- Healthy(ish) banana bread - try making banana bread with honey instead of sugar. It’s equally as sweet and super moist without any refined sugar! Check out this recipe.
- Honey face mask - try an at home facemask made with honey. Make sure you always use high-quality raw honey. Here are some awesome DIY masks to try.
- DIY body scrub - honey is great for doing an at home body scrub. Check out this recipe for a DIY scrub to leave your skin feeling soft and silky.
- Get stronger nails - if your nails are weak or brittle, try mixing a tablespoon of honey with a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Place it in a shallow dish and soak nails for 10 minutes. Rinse hands and repeat weekly for stronger nails and healthier cuticles.
Well, there you have it! Now you know why we love honey and why we enjoy using it in our products. Check out our honey-infused products at predeprovence.com!